Wat Moon Dong Lek in Silverlake has some of my favorite Thai dishes done very well, so I like to keep coming back there when I can. It's a voluminous menu that expanded in the past year or so, so I wanted to share some of my personal faves.
- crispy pork belly -- This dish features big hunks of fried pork belly tossed with greens and served with white rice. Of course I like to add a fried egg to my order.
khao mu krop
crispy pork belly
- Thai-style Hainanese chicken rice -- Look, I don't want to travel to Alhambra to wait at Savoy for a dish that should damn well be commoditized by now.
khao man gai
Hainanese chicken rice
- braised beef with spicy basil -- This is yet another white rice dish that I like served with a fried egg.
nuea tun kraphao
braised beef with spicy basil
- Isaan wings -- These are for when I want to mix it up and start with wings instead of the Isaan sausage, another favorite.
pik gai isan
Isaan chicken wings
- sauteed blue crab in curry sauce -- This was the reason that I wanted to wax ecstatic about WMDL. Stir-fried crab curry is one of my favorite Thai dishes and they do a great rendition.
pu phat phong kari
stir-fried crab with curry powder
- mango sticky rice -- Hey, you gotta balance out all that heat somehow.
khao niao mamuang
sticky rice and mango